All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never prior to have numerous new methods and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a short duration of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of individuals the opportunity to lower or remove their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless way to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser center. Discover who will actually do your procedure, then inquire about that doctor's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Choose a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor does not understand can hurt you.
4. Request for information on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication Click This Link rates. If your medical professional will not inform you, find another one. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the danger of receiving less than expert care!
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, but do not expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat different outcome. The very best surgeon on the planet can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as individual as each client. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a hard sell. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 approximately, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the eyesight of millions of individuals around the globe.